Friday, May 04, 2007

I Owe Louis Davidson, Itzik Ben-Gan And Adam Machanic A Book Review

There you go an IOU for the people to see, this means now I have to do it (or delete this post ;-))

There are 3 SQL Server 2005 books that I have that are written by the authors mentioned in the title of this post. Okay there are realy more authors but these are just the main authors.
The first book that I have to write a review for is Pro SQL Server 2005 Database Design and Optimization written by Louis Davidson. I finished the whole book and learned a bunch of new things.

The second book is Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Querying written by Itzik Ben-Gan. I did not finish the whole book yet but I can tell you that the book is well worth your hard earned money for chapter 6 and 9 alone.

And the third book is Expert SQL Server 2005 Development (Expert) written by Adam Machanic. I have read 3 chapters so far but like what I see. This book is not out yet it will be published on May 26th 2007. I will have an interview with Adam and in a week or two on this blog and he will tell you who the book is geared towards to and more.
If you are into Google maps/Live maps/Yahoo maps mashup and have to work with spatial data then you are in luck, this book has a whole chapter on spatial data just for you.

Here are the links to the sample chapters if you want to get a feel for the books

Itzik's book: http://www.sql.co.il/books/insidetsql2005/sample_chapters.htm#T-SQL_Querying_Sample_Chapters

Louis' book: http://www.apress.com/book/supplementDownload.html?bID=10005&sID=3490

Unfortunately I don't have a link to a sample chapter yet for Adam's book, once I have that I will post that here

The good thing about these three books is that they don't really overlap that much. Louis' book deals mostly with design and performance tuning from a design point of view. Itzik books deals with T-SQL querying, how the optimizer chooses a plan and some neat trick and tips to get the most out of your T-SQL. Adam's book has the following topics and more: software development methodologies for the database world,testing and debugging database routines,privilege and authorization, designing systems for application concurrency,working with spatial data

If you want to know more about the authors I encourage you to listen to their podcasts on SQL DownUnder

Show 6 with guest Itzik Ben-Gan discussing the T-SQL language.
In this show, well know SQL Server MVP Itzik Ben-Gan discusses techniques for using the T-SQL language to solve common problems, shows how looking at programs from a negative point of view might help and discusses the enhancements to the T-SQL language coming in the next version of SQL Server (2005).

Show 8 with Adam Machanic discussing Stored Procedures as APIs and SQL Unit Testing.
In this show, Adam (a SQL Server MVP) discusses advantages of using stored procedures as APIs and unit testing of SQL Server stored procedures.


Show 12 with guest Louis Davidson describing his Top Ten Database Design Issues.
In this show, SQL Server MVP Louis describes the top ten errors he sees being made in database design.

You can download all three of these podcasts here: http://www.sqldownunder.com/

1 comment:

Joe said...

I found Itzik Ben-Gan's book(s) excellent and pratical. The set is my go-to reference for SQL, and sits next to Stroustup's the C++ programming language (third edition) on my virtual bookshelf of honor.

I can't say enough good things about it.