Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sweet Child O' Mine By Guns N' Roses Or Child in Time By Deep Purple?

Yesterday we talked about Whole Lotta Love and whole Lotta Rosie today we are talking about Sweet Child O' Mine and Child In Time. So which is your favorite?

Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses from the album Appetite for Destruction
Child in Time by Deep Purple from the album Deep Purple in Rock

This is a very tough pick for me because I love both songs but I would have to go for Sweet Child O' Mine. This song is perfect in every way from the vocals to the guitar solo to the introduction's famous D-flat based riff. The lyrics were written by Axl Rose as a love letter to his girlfriend at the time Erin Everly. No matter how many times I listen to the song it never bores me; something I can’t say about Paradise City; I just can’t stand that song anymore

Child in time is a song that is over 10 minutes long; It starts slowly with only an organ then builds up to a faster pace and then stops abruptly to start over again. Guitarist Ritchie Blackmore solo is just amazing and Ian Gillan’s voice goes from quiet singing to loud screaming. If you never heard this song I urge you to check it out.

Lyrically, the song is deep and dark; here are the lyrics:
Sweet child in time,
You'll see the line.
The line that's drawn between,
The good and the bad.
See the blind man,
He's shooting at the world.
The bullets flying,
Mmm... they're taking toll.
If you've been bad,
Lord I bet you have.
And youve not been hit,
You've not been hit by flying lead.
You'd better close your eyes,
You'd better bow your head.
Wait for the ricochet...


I have at least 3 versions of this song; the original, the live version from Made In Japan and the live version from Scandinavian Nights.

My favorite Guns N' Roses songs:
Mr. Browstone
Live and Let Die
Don't Cry
Civil War
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
You Could Be Mine
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Out Ta Get Me
Mr. Brownstone
My Michelle
Think About You
Sweet Child O' Mine
You're Crazy


My favorite Deep Purple songs:
Child In Time
Smoke On The Water
Hush
Soldier Of Fortune (David Coverdale is the singer on this one)
Speed King (the longer version with crazy guitar intro)

So which are your favorites?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is Sweet Child of Mine