Thursday, September 07, 2006

Kalen Delaney Has Finished Inside SQL Server 2005: The Storage Engine And Is Also Blogging On SQLblog.com

Some good news that I am very excited about; Kalen Delaney has finished Inside SQL Server 2005: The Storage Engine. I have already pre-ordered her book but will have to wait until November 8, 2006 when it will ship (hopefully). I have her 2000 edition and it's my favorite book together with Ken Henderson's Guru series. Kalen also has started to blog on SQLblog.com

So what am I currently reading and what else am I going to buy.
Currently I am reading a very good SQL book by Louis Davidson named Pro SQL Server 2005 Database Design and Optimization. I hope to be done by the time Inside SQL Server 2005: The Storage Engine ships, I should be if the kids let me. Pro SQL Server 2005 Database Design and Optimization is a very good book and starts from Data Model and goes all the way to Database Interoperability. some other things covered are Protecting the Integrity of Your Data,Table Structures and Indexing,Coding for Concurrency
This book does also a very good job of explaining Codd’s 12 Rules for an RDBMS

What am I going to buy next?
Next book on my list is Expert SQL Server 2005 Development by Adam Machanic. I like the chapters that Adam wrote in Pro SQL server 2005, I like what he does in newsgroups and I like his blog. So that is enough for me to check out the book

After that I will buy SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting: The Database Engine by Ken Henderson which will be published December 5, 2006 (Sinterklaas dag for all you Dutch people)
I have 3 of Ken's books and I will get this one and the follow up to The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Stored Procedures, XML, and HTML which will be published May 31, 2007

So I went a little overboard with the links, this post has more blue characters than black ones.

So what is on your list and what are you currently reading?

I am also interested in getting A Developer's Guide to SQL Server 2005 by Bob Beauchemin. We will see; if I finish these books and the others are not published yet then I will. I did not have this problem when I used to take the Amtrak/NJ Transit train from Princeton to New York City (lots of time to read). Right now I work and live in Princeton and my commute is about 8 minutes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug!
Please note that people will be able to find the book more easily (on Amazon, etc) if my last name is spelling correctly...

-- Kalen Delaney

Denis said...

Oops, sorry about that...
I have corrected it, do you get that a lot that people leave out the e?

Anonymous said...

I've just finished Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Querying, and have started on Inside SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming. Both are by Itzik Ben-Gan. The querying book is a pretty good read and one to have for reference. Still on ch1 of the programming book, but so far so good. I may go for Kalens book too. Do you k now if there is a sample chapter anywhere?

Denis said...

FreeTodev, keep an eye on this link, I am sure it will be available here once the book is published

http://www.sql.co.il/books/insidetsql2005/